What is the Babytek?
The Babytek is a handy system for borrowing baby items that you only need for a short time. It works like a library of things, lending baby supplies needed during the first year of the baby’s life.
Our lending service for baby items aspires to make sustainable baby supplies available to all. Becoming a member, new parents can borrow items for testing and using in a fun and accessible way. As their baby grows, they return the supplies for someone else’s use. The Babytek encourages personal contacts, sustainability and social inclusion aiming for more livable communities.
What does the Babytek do?
Hooray, there’s a baby on the way! Let’s quickly get the nursery ready! What do you need to make it happen? A great deal, if you’re to believe the many birth gift registries and tips. However, there are several things that are only used briefly if ever. Whether space is limited at home, you only have your little niece visiting a few times a year, you have a limited budget or just want to opt for radically less clutter, the Babytek is the solution for young families looking for sustainable baby supplies.
- We collect high-quality and sustainable baby supplies that can remain in circulation for a long time (such as a baby bath, high chair cushions, Maxi-Cosy, breast feeding cushion, baby food processors, bouncers, buggies, etc.)
- We offer people an opportunity to test products (not every baby likes a baby carrier)
- We chip away at the mountain of waste. Used items don’t get thrown away but move to a new family.
- We offer a solution for people with limited space at home. Create more space by only stocking what you need at a specific moment.
- We bring young parents into contact with a real-life example of use instead of ownership
- Your bank account will like it too, as you won’t have to buy expensive supplies.
- We create a meeting place for young parents
Who is the Babytek for?
Everyone can become a member of the Babytek. The Babytek is for parents and grandparents, rich and poor, newly formed families and singles, minimalists and those up for new experiences, etc. As a member, you have access to a great many high-quality baby supplies!
Babyteks in Belgium
We hope to inspire other places with the Babytek in Ixelles/Elsene Community Centre, so that lending services can develop throughout Belgium for sustainable baby supplies.